A Henley pub of this name was mentioned in a will of 1499, while it is known that Le Katharine Whele paid a rent of one angel an 100 old pence (in 1564) towards the upkeep of the bridge. Originally a fraction of its present size, the pub prospered during the 19th century as one of the town’s main coaching inns. An earlier proprietor, William Atkins, became Mayor of Henley in 1679. He was one of several Henley tradesmen to issue trade tokens, which were used as small change.
Find out More >