The former Crown Inn stands facing the Butter Cross, dominating Market Place. Designed by the Nottinghamshire architect TC Hine, the Butter Cross was erected in 1861, in memory of John Hassall, land agent for the lord of the manor. Hassall died in 1859, aged 70. For years after his death, ‘on a certain day in the spring, garlands of primroses decorated the eight pillars of the Butter Cross, brought by people who knew him’.
Find out More >