This pub was once Thomas Goward’s grocery shop. Founded in 1810, Goward’s traded on this site until 1910, weighing out provisions and cutting sugar by hand from a conical-shaped sugar loaf. In a warehouse behind the shop, Goward’s staff blended tea, ground coffee, chopped sugar, ground spices and washed and polished dried fruit for sale in the shop. In 1871, Goward lived over the shop in a large household, which included his wife and three daughters, three of his shop men and two domestic servants.
Find out More >