This is named after the printing press imported from Colombia by John Peacock in 1823. During the 20th century, printing overtook brewing as Watford’s main trade. By the 1960s, thousands were employed in the industry, especially at Odhams and the Sun Engraving Company, owned by Robert Maxwell. Printing in Watford had been established in the town by John Peacock, who opened a printing works in 1820. His printing press, imported from Columbia and used to print the first edition of the Watford Observer, is in Watford Museum.
Find out More >