The name of this pub recalls the royal charter granted to Hull Corporation, in 1447, to elect a suitable and discreet man as Admiral of the Humber. The city’s Lord Mayor is still elected to that office, although its power no longer exists. This site is part of Grosvenor House which, itself, was built on the site of the Master Mariner Almshouse, erected in 1834. It was known to the inmates as The Ship, from the carving of a ship’s hull on top of this grand building. In 1937, there were 48 inmates. Four years later, the almshouse was destroyed by enemy action, with the site cleared in the 1950s.
Find out More >