Virtually outside the JDW premises is a memorial stone commemorating James James or Iago ap Ieuan, who composed the national anthem of Wales. The five-feet-high memorial stone was mined at a quarry just north of Aberdare. The commemorative plaque set into the stone is of north Wales slate. James moved to the Cynon Valley (which includes Aberdare) in 1873 and spent his last years in Abedare itself. He was buried in Aberdare Cemetery in 1902.
A photograph and text about the post office.
The text reads: The post office opened in December 1925 by the high constable Mr Emrys Evans. This new building was a credit to Aberdare which was one of the finest towns in Wales at this time. The main entrance was situated in the High Street (see above picture) with a back entrance in Monk Street (pictured right), built with Forest of Dean Stone it was the first Crown building erected in Aberdare.
The new post master, Mr ET Davies was overjoyed to be working in such a modern building with up to date facilities. The ground floor accommodated the sorting room, telephone room, male clerk’s retiring room and the public office, also the postman’s retiring room and post new store. On the first floor was the lady clerk’s retiring room and the switch room.
We would like to acknowledge and thank Alun Prescott at Aberdare Reference library; John F Mear for their help in researching the local history.
We would like to acknowledge and thank Deric John for his help in translating the Welsh language.
A photograph of ironmongers, High Street.
This would later be used for the post office.
A photograph and text about Rex Cinema.
The text reads: The Rex Cinema was situated on High Street it was demolished on 10 August 1990. Wallace James played at the Compton Organ during the opening of the Rex Cinema 1939.
Illustrations of Victoria Square and the Cenotaph.
Photographs of the post office, 1980 and staff, 1920.
A plaque commemorating the harpist and composer of the Welsh national anthem.
In memory of James James ‘Iago Ap Ieuan’ harpist and composer of the national anthem of wales, who lived in the Cynon valley from 1873 until his death in 1902. His remains are buried in Aberdare cemetery.
External photograph of the building – main entrance.
If you have information on the history of this pub, then we’d like you to share it with us. Please e-mail all information to: email@example.com