Fleet’s development as a town was due, in large measure, to the nearby army camp at Aldershot. In the 1890s, its commanding officer was Prince Arthur, third son of Queen Victoria. During his time in charge, Prince Arthur lived in Fleet. This was the first shop in Fleet with two entrances and had ‘a good turnover of groceries, including butter and tea’.
A print and text about The Prince Arthur.
The text reads: One of Fleet’s most distinguished visitors was Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught, who lived here whilst he was commanding officer at Aldershot.
Third son of Queen Victoria, Prince Arthur was born in 1850. Following his army training at the Royal Military Academy at Woolwich, he served in Canada, Gibraltar, Egypt and India from 1869 to 1890. For the next four years, he was commander-in-chief of Ireland, followed by a two year spell as commander-in-chief of the Mediterranean.
After a further five years as governor-general of Canada, Prince Arthur was made Duke of Connaught in 1874. Four years later, he married Princess Louise Margaret of Prussia. Their daughter Margaret married the future King Gustav VI of Sweden in 1905. Their son, also Prince Arthur, was governor-general of South Africa from 1920 to 1923.
In honour of the Duke of Connaught’s time in Fleet, Middle Street, High Street and Station Road were re-named Clarence Road, Connaught Road and Kings Road.
This oil portrait of field marshal HRH Prince Arthur is courtesy of the director of the National Army Museum.
A photograph of Fleet Road, Fleet, c1905.
Prints of Reading Road.
Left: Reading Road south, approaching Albert Street, c1910
Right: Reading Road north, near the Oatsheaf crossroads.
A photograph of Reading Road, Fleet, c1920.
A collection of prints of Fleet, including The Prince Arthur when it was the International Stores, opened in 1909.
Prints of Fleet Pond Station.
Prints of Fleet Road and Fleet Hall.
A photograph of Market Place, Fleet, c1908.
A photograph of the post office, Fleet, c1910.
A photograph of Fleet Road, Fleet, c1908.
External photograph of the building – main entrance.
If you have information on the history of this pub, then we’d like you to share it with us. Please e-mail all information to: firstname.lastname@example.org